Coconut oil is one of the most versatile natural products found on this earth and can do wonders for the human body. Whether it’s consumed or used as a natural hair remedy, the benefits of coconut oil for hair growth cannot be a praised enough.
Packed with vital nutrients and rich in compounds such as lauric and fatty acids, coconut oil for hair growth is just one of its many benefits. If you’re looking for a natural alternative to condition your scalp, strengthen your hair and encourage hair growth, here’s all you need to know about coconut oil.
We’ve also thrown in a few hair growth products that we love that feature coconut oil as a main ingredient.
Why Coconut Oil for Hair Growth?
There is a common misconception that coconut oil will leave hair heavy and greasy after its use. But this couldn’t further from the truth. Coconut oil for hair loss reversal and prevention is one of the best natural remedies. It helps to restore shine, hydration, and strength to your crowning glory.
If your hair is dry and brittle, this is actually a sign that your hair is dehydrated -not necessarily damaged.
One of the best ways to keep hair supple and soft is by restoring hydration through coconut oil. Your diet also plays a large role in the health of your hair. Drinking plenty of water and consuming healthy fats can help to improve the quality of your hair.
Incorporate coconut oil into your daily diet as part of your healthy fats. It can be used as a form of cooking oil, blended into smoothies and more.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Your Hair?
Many mainstream hair care products are laden with harsh chemicals which can contribute to the dryness or oiliness of your scalp. Coconut oil is a great way to soothe damaged hair due to its antioxidant, anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.
So is coconut oil good for your hair? If you find your hair is thinning, coconut oil for hair loss could be your answer. It works to improve the health of your scalp while warding off infections and stimulating hair follicles.
Let’s find out more about how coconut oil works for stimulating hair growth.
The Benefits of Coconut Oil For Hair Growth
Dealing with thinning, brittle or overly fragile hair can be a traumatic experience for both men and women. Coconut oil is a versatile product which provides a myriad of hair health benefits for both sexes.
Contrary to what you may think, coconut oil doesn’t fall into the same category as many over-priced ”health oils” on the market today. It’s an affordable, effective and 100% natural product with proven benefits!
Does Coconut Oil Help Your Hair Grow?
Before turning to prescription medications to encourage hair growth, it may be worth taking a look at your diet, way of life and current hair treatment regime. Try and work on the health of your hair from the inside out. Incorporating omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds, flax seeds and green tea can all help with hair growth. Turn to coconut oil for hair growth by incorporating this into your hair care regimen by using it as a conditioner, detangler and hair treatment.
Coconut oil is an incredible product because it’s known to deeply penetrate the hair shaft, rather simply coating it and then being washed away.
What Coconut Oil can do for Your Hair
1. It Protects Hair and Prevents Breakage
Compounds such as lauric acid and the fatty acids contained in coconut oil work coat the hair and bind with natural proteins in the hair. This coating works as protection of the hair, allowing to grow without becoming brittle and breaking off.
2. It Soothes and Moisturizes Hair
One of coconut oil’s standout properties is the fact that it can penetrate so deeply into the hair follicle. Using coconut oil for dry hair allows plenty of moisture, nutrients, and vitamins to soak into the root of your hair, leaving it healthy, hydrated and soft.
Coconut oil is also highly effective as protection from heat damage and can be applied before either blow-drying or straightening hair.
3. It Encourages Blood Circulation
A deep conditioning treatment with coconut oil can do wonders for hair growth stimulation. This can be done once a week, making sure to massage the coconut oil into the scalp. The coconut oil will be directly absorbed by the scalp, boosting blood flow and oxygen to this region of the head. This, in turn, helps to stimulate hair follicles and hair growth.
4. It’s Packed With Nutrients
Coconut oil is a natural product jam-packed with various minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants which are incredible for hair growth. Just some of the most stimulating nutrients include vitamin E, vitamin K, and iron. Each of these compounds works to protect the hair, while keeping it soft, supple and dandruff free.
5. It Protects Against Infection
If you suffer from persistent scalp infections such as dandruff, psoriasis or itchy scalp, this can severely affect hair growth. Coconut oil carries both antibacterial and antifungal properties, helping to soothe and protect your scalp from these conditions.
How to Use Coconut Oil in Your Hair
While coconut oil works brilliantly as a hair growth treatment, its benefits don’t stop there. Here are the additional ways on how to use coconut oil in your hair.
Following this section is a list of products that can also help.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment. Due to the smaller fatty-acid chain complex of coconut oil, it can penetrate deeper and faster into the hair. If you are looking to repair split ends, soothe your scalp, add shine and health back to your hair, coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment works wonders.
- Daily Hair Detangler. Instead of struggling with knotty, tangled hair use coconut oil in damp hair to detangle things for you. Pulling and tugging on tangled hair can do irreparable damage to your hair. Coconut oil can help to soothe and soften things for easy brushing, without leaving a sticky residue.
- Dandruff Treatment. Dandruff can be caused by scalp infections or the long-time use of hair products which are too harsh on the scalp. Coconut oil is a fantastic treatment for a dry, itchy and flaky scalp. Use as a conditioner or treatment once a week to keep dandruff at bay.
- Protect Your Hair From Sun Damage. Coating your hair with a layer of coconut oil works exactly the same as sunscreen on the body. If you work outdoors or simply want to protect your hair from harsh sunlight, apply a little coconut oil the end of your hair for natural protection.
Best Coconut Oil For Hair: 10 Suggested Products
Here are Hold The Hairline’s product suggestions for best coconut oil for hair, such as coconut oil shampoos and conditioners.