Last Updated on
We’ve been trying to cure baldness for centuries, but there’s still no permanent fix. Sure, there are things that can slow the process down, but the products in place are far from perfect. Recently, however, a novel idea has made its way into the discussion. What about using a drug that we’re all familiar with? One that we drink every morning in our cup of joe. One that is so wildly popular, it can be found literally everywhere. We’re talking, of course, about caffeine for hair loss.
You’re familiar with caffeine already. It’s a stimulant that works to energize the mind and body, increasing energy and boosting productivity. There is some hard science to back this claim up, with countless studies proving the efficacy of the chemical.
But research is beginning to suggest that it can stimulate more that just our bodies. And it may even hold the key to stimulating new hair growth and curing baldness once and for all. This article takes you through the science behind caffeine for hair loss and looks at popular products that can aid you on your journey. Let’s see if we can find the best hair growth solution once and for all.
Caffeine for Hair Loss: Studies and Research
Before we go any further, we’d like to present our research on caffeine and hair loss. We scoured the web for peer-reviewed journals and science-backed publications that support the claim that caffeine may indeed play a role in encouraging new growth. You won’t be disappointed by what we found:
- Bansal, Manish, et al. “Role of Caffeine in the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia.” International Journal of Trichology, 2012, find at ProQuest.
- Davis, M.G., et al. “A Novel Cosmetic Approach to Treat Thinning Hair.” British Journal of Dermatology, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd (10.1111), 15 Dec. 2011, find at Wiley.
- Fischer, T.W., et al. “Differential Effects of Caffeine on Hair Shaft Elongation.” British Journal of Dermatology, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd (10.1111), 30 Oct. 2014, find at Wiley.
- Fischer, T. W., et al. “Effect of Caffeine and Testosterone on the Proliferation of Human Hair Follicles in Vitro.” International Journal of Dermatology, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd (10.1111), 3 Jan. 2007, find at Wiley.
- Otberg, N., et al. “Follicular Penetration of Topically Applied Caffeine via a Shampoo Formulation.” Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, Karger Publishers, 29 Mar. 2007, find at Karger.
How Does Caffeine Help with Hair Loss?
First, let’s define caffeine. Caffeine is a chemical compound that stimulates the central nervous system. It’s found in a variety of plants around the world and has been used to stimulate the nervous system for millenia. In modern times, caffeine is ingested for alertness and productivity, and it’s widely regarded as one of the most popular psychoactive drugs in the world.
In its purest form, caffeine is simply a white crystalline substance that can be added to consumables or care products. And, in doses of 10 grams or less per day, caffeine is generally recognized as very safe.
But where does hair loss factor in?
Hair loss is caused by a number of factors. This includes genetic predisposition, hormones, low biotin levels, and more. But regardless of the reason behind your hair loss, there’s always one underlying sequence of events. Namely, the gradual reduction in hair growth thanks to chemical suppressors like DHT or issues such as root damage.
And that’s where caffeine steps in to save the day! Caffeine counteracts these issues by stimulating new growth, thus negating the effects of chemical suppression and revitalizing the shafts for long-term nourishment and fortitude. It works to stop hair loss in its tracks and assist in growing new, healthy locks at the same time.
There is no other drug on the market like it.
How to Use Caffeine Shampoo for Hair Loss
From root to tip, caffeine can help alleviate hair loss and promote new growth. Moreover, it’s scientifically proven to be among the most effective OTC treatments for hair loss, and it’s both safe and effective. But how can you use it to combat hair loss?
The most effective way to use caffeine for hair loss is known as transdermal absorption. Transdermal absorption occurs when caffeine is applied topically to the scalp. The chemical sinks into the point of contact and gets absorbed directly into your hairline. Quick and easy.
The key is to use a topical product that’s uniquely formulated with caffeine to reduce hair suppression chemicals and encourage new growth. The most common solution? A special form of shampoo or conditioner.
Fortunately, using caffeinated shampoo is really easy. Simply perform the following steps:
- Choose your favorite caffeinated shampoo
- During your next shower, lather up and leave the shampoo in for 2-5 minutes time
- Rinse and follow up with a suitable conditioner
- Repeat up to 5 times a week for best results
It really is as simple as that.
It’s also worth noting that caffeine shampoos for hair loss typically contain a number of other powerful hair loss countering ingredients. This includes:
- Other DHT Blockers
Working together, these powerhouse drugs deliver real results very quickly. In fact, the best caffeine shampoos can create a noticeable difference in as little as one week. That means luscious locks with more volume and oomf in no time.
So how can you get started?
5 Best Caffeine Shampoos in 2019
Let’s take a look at a few different caffeinated shampoos that are proven to slow hair loss process and encourage new growth.
If you’re seeking a caffeine shampoo to help grow hair, Lipogaine Big 5 has you covered. It approaches the problem of hair loss from 5 different angles and boasts the perfect blend of drugs to stop thinning in its tracks. Caffeine is among the most important ingredient, but you’ll also find biotin, argan oil, and other natural ingredients. In addition, this blend is free of harsh chemicals and will leave your hair happy and healthy.
- 8oz bottle of shampoo for all hair types
- Gentle ingredients for men & women
- Includes caffeine, biotin, saw palmetto, and more
Alpecin Shampoo is a topical caffeine product that promotes stronger hair and regrowth. It features a proprietary blend of powerful drugs that helps restore hair quality, including thickness, volume, and more. Simply apply daily, leave on for 2 minutes, and watch as new locks come rushing back. Alpecin has sold over 200 million bottles of this energizing blend, and it boasts incredible consumer reviews.
- 8.45oz bottle of shampoo for straight, coarse, and curly hair
- Energizing ingredients designed for men
- Includes caffeine, wheat protein, castor oil, and more
If your hair keeps falling out, OGX Anti-Fallout Shampoo may be the best choice for you! It boasts a unique blend of caffeine and niacin that’s designed to reduce hair suppression chemicals, restore hair health, and revitalize your locks. Plus, it works to clean the roots themselves and stimulate the scalp gently yet effectively.
- 13oz bottle for all hair types
- Stimulating formula for men and women
- Includes caffeine, niacin, Alpha Hydroxy, and more
Ultrax Labs Hair Surge is one of the purest caffeine shampoos for hair loss. It’s loaded with high concentrations of caffeine and saw palmetto, both designed to cleanse the scalp, encourage growth, and extend your hair’s lifecycle. The best part? The formula works transdermally in just a matter of minutes. Simply lather, leave on for 2-5 minutes, then wash it away to totally revitalize your ‘do. It’s very safe to use and made right here in the USA.
- 8oz bottle for all hair types
- Revitalizing ingredients for men and women
- Features caffeine, saw palmetto, ketoconazole, and more
Seeking a shampoo to prevent hair loss? DS Labs Revita is renowned for its unbelievable effectiveness and super fast results. Its special formula was engineered to clean the scalp, block DHT, stimulate new growth, and leave it with a healthful shine. The ingredients are sulfate and paraben-free and guaranteed to deliver results. With over 90% of users reporting reduce hair loss and improved growth, it’s a great way to go.
- 7oz bottle for all hair types
- Natural ingredients for men and women
- Features caffeine, ketoconazole, soy protein, and more
Fortunately, caffeine for hair loss is just one way to combat thinning and baldness. While it remains one of the most effective OTC treatments, there are a handful of other amazing products that you can use in conjunction for a comprehensive hair care regimen.
Check out a few of our other popular articles to stop hair loss in its tracks and get back to fuller and thicker hair: